Monday, November 8, 2010

What’s in a name?

Todd and I just watched the movie Away We Go this past weekend, which was so cute, and during the movie there is a conversation between two sisters who mention something about the baby getting a random trait from their parents that skipped them.  And this reminded me of Finn’s blue eyes. 

Most babies are born with blue eyes, but usually they turn to another color I think some time during their first year.  Finn’s eyes are still blue.  Todd’s eyes are brown and my eyes are green.  I have no idea what color my eyes were when I was born or even as a baby, but I know that all through my school years my eyes were grey until 7th grade when they suddenly turned green.  I kind of always thought for a while that maybe his eyes would turn green like mine and that even though he is a complete clone of Todd that maybe he got my eye color (and ears).  Until this summer, when I was looking at a picture of Finn with grandma (the real grandma, not the bear) when I suddenly noticed that they have the same bright blue eyes!  He got them from grandma!

But our children are also getting other very special gifts from their grandparents:  their names!

Todd’s middle name is Wayne after his mother’s father.  So when we were pregnant with Finn we said we wanted to keep that tradition, which meant that Finn’s middle name would be Timothy after my father, who just so happens to be a very important person in my life. 

When choosing names for baby #2, whose gender was unknown, we knew that if it was a boy, his middle name would be David, after Todd’s dad, another very important person in our lives. 

Now we’re on to baby #3.  While we’ve had a girls name (Charlotte Grace) chosen since we were pregnant with Finn, we have decided that just isn’t right.  We’ve got middle names honoring the grandfathers, we most definitely need to honor Grandma Carolyn!  The boys LOVE her (hello, Finn’s teddy bear is named grandma) and I love her, and well obviously Todd loves her too.  :)  So, if the baby is a girl, her middle name will be Carolyn!

These people are important parts of our lives and I know when our children are older, they will be proud to share their names with the people who we love SO much.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it! And I'm sure Grandma does too. Plus, now we can call her CeCe as a nickname which I love :) Gah I hope you have a girl!
And I love the name Charlotte - didn't know you had that one picked out - it's a good one! I love when people use family names :) do you feel the LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!??!? Kisses to you and your belly!