Monday, March 7, 2011

False Alarm

We had quite an exciting weekend!  Friday night we had a scheduled date night to go to Finn’s school silent auction.  We’ve been hearing about this event and how much fun it is, etc for so long.  I purchased our tickets about a month ago and was really excited to go.  Until last week, when finally I just realized that standing on my feet all night long was SO NOT what I wanted to do.  And I knew Todd wasn’t all that excited about going.  But we had a sitter already lined up, so instead, I put on my yoga pants and comfy shoes and we went to a movie!  And then as a special bonus, we went to the Krispy Kreme store afterwards for desert!  Neither of us had been before and I had been wanting to check it out.  It was SO cool!  (expect to see another post on that soon because I will be taking the boys very soon!)  On the way home I started having some bad back cramps.  When we got home we hung out for a bit looking online for a table for the nursery making a plan to go pick it up the next day.  And then we went to bed.  Except those back cramps got really bad and I started having really awful, painful contractions.  And then all of a sudden it was so painful I started getting sick.  I kept trying to find a comfortable position that would make everything feel better and stop but it just kept getting worse.  So we called the doctor and headed to the hospital. 

Don’t I look happy?

P1000581

So they hooked me up to monitors and an IV and just watched things for a while.  The contractions continued through the night and the nurse kept coming in periodically to check on me and kept saying she was sure we would be having the baby in the morning.  I was in a total panic.  Even though I had been miserable for a while and thinking it would be great if baby decided to come early, I suddenly was freaking out that another doctor besides Dr Dawson would be doing the c-section!  Todd on the other hand was excited and ready for baby to come.  But finally around 6:30am, the contractions started slowing down and tapering off and they were mostly over by the time the doctor came in at 11:15.  By 11:30 we were walking out of the hospital on our way to grab lunch (because I was STARVING since I wasn’t allowed to eat in case of surgery!).

I was happy about it at the time, just wasn’t ready yet.  The nursery wasn’t done, I felt like we still had a million things on our to-do list before baby came and we’ve got a few things planned between now and the 23rd that I just didn’t want to miss.  But, grandma and papa were on our way to our house, driving from Florida back to Indiana, so it would have been good timing.

So now we just wait and see.  The doctor said that if it happens again they will just automatically do the c-section.  Stay tuned….

No comments: