Wednesday, December 8, 2010

25 Days of Christmas: Days 1 thru 8

Day 1.  Advent Calendar & Wreath

I wanted to do some kind of “countdown calendar” for Finn for Christmas since he has trouble with the concept of time.  I found this cute idea for a simple advent calendar online.  We don’t have any star stickers, so we’re using smiley face stickers for each day to countdown to Christmas!  Both Finn and Riley are taking turns putting up the stickers each day.  And we’ve also got our awesome felt Advent Wreath that we got from church last year.  Every Sunday we sing Happy Birthday to Jesus (Finn’s idea) and put a new candle on.

IMG_6815IMG_6817 

Day 2.  Listen to Christmas Music & Decorate the house, or pull out ALL of the decorations.

I didn’t get a picture because it was just mayhem.  But Finn woke up on the 1st and asked “can we decorate today?” and about peed his pants when I said yes!  Daddy was just about to walk out the door to go to work but I made him go to the basement to pull up a few of our decoration storage bins before he left and oh the joy!  They pulled EVERYTHING out and we put on Christmas music and played with the little people nativity set that we got for Christmas last year and just had so much FUN!

Day 3.  Ride the Pink Pig

I took the boys to go ride Priscilla the Pink Pig!  So much FUN! 

IMG_6665IMG_6666 

IMG_6664

IMG_6668

And we met some friends!

IMG_6676

We also had our picture taken with Priscilla which both boys were looking at the camera and hugging her and so cute and it all happened so fast I didn’t get my camera out but I did *have* to buy the super cute picture!  Sadly I do not have a scanner, just trust me it is cute!

Day 4.  Santa Parade

I got word about a Santa parade that is put on by Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta so we went downtown to go check it out.  I had low expectations but oh my goodness, it was a really awesome parade!  There was TONS of giant blow-up balloon characters and it was almost 2 hours long!  Very FUN!  I’ve got a million pictures and will try to narrow it down…..

IMG_6679

IMG_6689

Here comes the parade!

IMG_6691

IMG_6697 IMG_6698

IMG_6706

Loooooooook!!!!  It’s Abbie!!!!

IMG_6714IMG_6715 

IMG_6724 IMG_6721 

Random men dancing with briefcases!

IMG_6739

IMG_6754 IMG_6741

IMG_6759 IMG_6757

IMG_6763

SANTA IS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_6770IMG_6776 

Day 5.  Decorate the tree and put up lights!

IMG_6780

IMG_6785IMG_6789 

IMG_6794 

I still haven’t taken a picture of the lights outside, but Todd got them all hung and then we let Finn plug them in.  Yeah, probably not the safest/smartest task for a 3 yr old, but we got lucky, he’s still alive.  :)

Day 6.  Cookie Decorating!

We went over to our friend Davis’ house for cookie decorating!  We made such a mess and ate a TON of candy but we had a lot of FUN!

IMG_6797 IMG_6799

IMG_6802 IMG_6801

Day 7.  Reindeer craft!

We did this craft last year and I wanted to repeat it because the face of the reindeer is their foot print and the antlers are their hands.  I’d like to keep repeating this for as long as I can to see them grow!  To be honest, they were totally into tracing their hands and feet but then wanted not much to do with the craft after that, not even the gluing!  So I really did this craft.  But they colored and we all hung out and sang jingle bells about 10,000 times.  :)  So we still had FUN (and I still got my hand/foot prints!)!

 IMG_6803 IMG_6804 IMG_6805

Day 8.  Write and Send a Letter to Santa!

OK, this I was SO excited for!  One of my friends in the burbs mentioned they had a place where you could mail a letter to Santa and get a response!  I was so jealous!  I found out that our post office had a mailbox where we could send a letter, just no response.  OK, I’ll take it.  But then!!!  THEN!!!  Someone found a place that is doing responses too!!!  And close to home!  YAY!!  I asked Finn if he wanted to write a letter to Santa and mail it to him and he said yes and was super excited.  But then when I started to pull out our paper and markers and stickers and such he said “momma, I can’t write very good though”….awww!  I assured him I would help him and write whatever he wanted to say!  It was still a little tough.  Even though he scours through the toy catalogues (that he calls his kids magazines) that come every.single.day and says he wants every single thing in them, when it came time to it, he really couldn’t think of anything.  But he came up with Mickey Mouse (???), a sled and some cars, and a penguin and some snow!  And his little brother Riley would like his own scissors.  We added some stickers and I made an envelope and off we went!  The mailbox was too high and I needed to lift him up, so I wasn’t able to take a picture of him dropping it in.

IMG_6807IMG_6809IMG_6810 IMG_6811 IMG_6813IMG_6812   

More to come…….Merry Christmas!!!!

2 comments:

Lee Anne said...

FUN! I'm going to steal your reindeer idea!

Ally said...

I am loving this! The boys are so lucky to have such a fun mom like you!