Monday, October 12, 2009

Urgent call to pediatrician from Target

Yes…..how many times in your life can you say that you have an emergency call to the pediatrician from Target?  I’m hoping this was my one and only.

So I need to run to Target to grab something really quick, so I load up the boys and head on over.  I’ve got Riley in the front of the cart in the seat and I’ve got Finn in the inside basket.  That stupid dollar bin gets me every time.  I pick up two pairs of kids Halloween socks (because I am festive), a Sesame Street book for Finn (because I bribed him) and a package of those time release capsules that turn into dinosaur shaped sponges when you put them in water (because my friend Carolyn told me how much fun her and Maggie had watching them….and because I’m an idiot).  I then move on to the bags, pick up a new bag and Finn is sitting in the cart with it on his shoulder petting it.  Then we move on to the kids clothes and I’m looking at this rack of Tonka t-shirts trying to find Finn’s size cuz I know he’s gonna love this shirt with a huge digger on it when I turn around and find him with the dinosaur capsules open, one in his hand, 2 in his mouth and 2 on the ground…..1 is missing….OMG….”Finn did you swallow one of these?”  “yes momma”  but he says yes to just about anything so I’m not sure but I’m also just not sure what to do so I call the pediatrician as I’m racing out the store and when they answer I say “I’ve got to talk to a nurse, its urgent, I can’t wait for a call back, my son just swallowed one of those time release capsule dinosaur shaped sponge things!!!!”  The nurse calmly replies “one second”….another nurse pops on and says “so he swallowed one of those capsules?”  “yes, what do I do?”  “well you’re not the first person to call about this…..don’t worry, as long as he isn’t having difficulty breathing than it isn’t expanding in his throat (OMG!!!)  and it made its way to his belly where his stomach acid will eat it up and he’ll be fine”  “YAY!!!”

No comments: